2020’s plethora of global events have left all of us with far too many unanswered questions. How can we forget about COVID-19 flipping the world on its head (the world is, uh, still flipped on its head), the resulting recession, or the nail-biting American presidential election? It’s safe to say 2020 has been anything but sleepy.
For the third year in a row, the team at All Home Connections got our hands dirty to discover which questions are at the forefront of Americans’ minds. With so much uncertainty in the air this year, we were especially eager to see 2020’s results.
Residents in seven states asked Google if they should adopt a pooch, while people in five states pondered if they should delete Facebook. Thanks to record-low mortgage rates, people in eight states googled “should I refinance?” more than any other question. The most popular question googled nationwide was “should I quarantine?”—a true testament to COVID-19’s widespread impact.
Perhaps the biggest curveball was Florida’s and Maryland’s top search query for “should I shave my head?” But hey, at this point, nothing about 2020 surprises any of us anymore.
2020’s Top “Should I…” Google Searches Revealed
- Search volume for the query “Should I quarantine?” spiked on March 15, 2020, within days of the World Health Organization (WHO) characterizing COVID-19 as a pandemic and President Trump declaring COVID-19 a national emergency.
- As of November 25, 2020, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate is 2.72%—the lowest the country has seen since 2016. It’s no wonder eight states’ leading “should I” question was “Should I refinance?”
- In New York, residents googled “Should I move [houses]?” left and right. Locals in New York City in particular experienced one of the deadliest waves of COVID-19 the country saw, surpassing 6,350 COVID-19 cases by April 6, 2020.
- In happier news, a surge of residents in seven states searched, “Should I adopt a dog?” more than any other question—and, apparently, people liked what they saw. In the three months following COVID-19’s newly-minted pandemic status, 5% of all US adults brought home their very own Fido.
- Locals in New Jersey and Michigan asked Google “Should I pop a blister?” more than they probably wanted to. Thanks to lockdowns, cooking at home increased astronomically, which meant hospitals saw an uptick in cooking-related injuries too (including good ole oven burns).
- Utahans googled “Should I have a baby?” the most of any question. Coincidentally, Utah also touts the highest percentage of children under the age of five in the nation—so much so that 8% of Utah’s population is five years old or younger.
|Alabama||Should I quarantine|
|Alaska||Should I refinance|
|Arizona||Should I buy a house now|
|Arkansas||Should I get a dog|
|California||Should I get back with my ex|
|Colorado||Should I quarantine|
|Connecticut||Should I dye my hair|
|Delaware||Should I refinance|
|District of Columbia||Should I quarantine|
|Florida||Should I shave my head|
|Georgia||Should I buy a house now|
|Hawaii||Should I quarantine|
|Idaho||Should I get tested for COVID|
|Illinois||Should I quit my job|
|Indiana||Should I quarantine|
|Iowa||Should I dye my hair|
|Kansas||Should I get a dog|
|Kentucky||Should I have a baby|
|Louisiana||Should I get a dog|
|Maine||Should I refinance|
|Maryland||Should I shave my head|
|Massachusetts||Should I delete Facebook|
|Michigan||Should I pop a blister|
|Minnesota||Should I quit my job|
|Mississippi||Should I quarantine|
|Missouri||Should I get a dog|
|Montana||Should I refinance|
|Nebraska||Should I quarantine|
|Nevada||Should I buy a house now|
|New Hampshire||Should I quarantine|
|New Jersey||Should I pop a blister|
|New Mexico||Should I refinance|
|New York||Should I move houses|
|North Carolina||Should I delete Facebook|
|North Dakota||Should I get tested for COVID|
|Ohio||Should I get a dog|
|Oklahoma||Should I get a dog|
|Oregon||Should I dye my hair|
|Pennsylvania||Should I delete Facebook|
|Rhode Island||Should I quarantine|
|South Carolina||Should I get a dog|
|South Dakota||Should I quarantine|
|Tennessee||Should I refinance|
|Texas||Should I move houses|
|Utah||Should I have a baby|
|Vermont||Should I quarantine|
|Virginia||Should I delete Facebook|
|Washington||Should I delete Facebook|
|West Virginia||Should I refinance|
|Wisconsin||Should I get tested for COVID|
|Wyoming||Should I refinance|
We looked at each state’s search volume from thirteen of the most googled “Should I…” questions to see what people in each state have questions about.
Reporters can email questions to Bailey@attsavings.com.